Search This Blog

Friday, January 2, 2009

A Celiac Christmas - The End

Thanks to everyone who was so supportive - especially my kids; my amazing husband who didn't bat an eye when I ate a cookie, cried because it was bad, and then ate another cookie; and my moms and dads - during this first holiday adventure with Celiac Disease lurking behind me like the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.

I gained much knowledge. I dealt with my losses. I made new blog contacts. All in all, a good season.

Some things that I gained:
  • The knowledge that brown rice flour makes cookies gritty
  • Excitement that cream cheese cookies and holly cookies are still good without gluten
  • Encouragement
  • Support
  • A chance to spread knowledge
  • Health and energy
  • New traditions and foods
  • A box of microwave popcorn that my mom forgot to take home with her. (Thanks, mom!)
  • A chance to recreate an old favorite with new flours (I'll let you know how the honey oatmeal bread turns out, Aunt Syl!)

Some things that I lost:
  • A favorite recipe or two
  • Pre-suppositions on what has to be
  • The fun of beater-licking and taste-testing
  • My fear of standing out because of food
  • Momentarily and at different times: My temper, my sense of humor, and my composure (Yes, I am emotionally attached to my cookies)
  • A sock

New blog contacts:

7 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had Celiac, that's so hard - not in real comparision, but I had gestational diabetes in my last two pregnancies - it's horrible to have around the holidays.

    It's sounds like you made it through, even though it is with one sock less :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were Clara's daughter! I've been following her blog for a while, and we have become friends in the blogasphere.
    I was reading your uncle's blog today and that is how I learned you were Clara's kid. I will be following your blog now. I know that Celiac is no fun. We thought my grand daughter had it a couple of years ago. She was 4 at the time. I still remember her saying "I hate glutin", even though she had no idea what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from SITS!

    You have had an interesting year with Celiac. Food is such an integral part of life. Hopefully you will have gained even more in the coming year with less losses and develop a love for your new diet.

    You have Little Shop of Horrors on your profile. It made me think back to seeing this movie in the theater. My friend and I arrived late during a dark part and tip toed around trying to find a seat. About 1/2 way through the movie a light part came on and we realized we were the only ones in there! It was quite funny to us teens back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from SITS...sounds like your Christmas was a memorable one! I'll have to poke around a little more, but it sounds like this is a recent diagnosis for you, so good for you! for getting through Christmas with {very few!} cookies! That alone impresses me! Glad to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your journey with Celiac's. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!

    Thanks for coming by!

    Try Pecan meal for part of the flour in your cookies, that might help!

    Here is a gluten free dish that is wonderful!

    http://thegreengrassgrowsallaround.blogspot.com/2008/08/fay-and-needing-something-yummy-to-eat.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, you're too kind. I actually FedExed Rachelle a giant spit-polished Red Delicious. (Proverbs 17:8)

    ReplyDelete

Yummy. I <3 Comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails