Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Spoonbread is my hero

I was in desperate need of a replacement dinner to one that I lost last spring with my celiac diagnosis, and flipping through my GF cookbooks' chicken recipes, I came across spoon bread.

I have heard of spoon bread, but I had no idea what it was. I especially had no idea that it was a type of chicken casserole. Say it with me, people: YUM! The nice thing is that this is a GF recipe, but my family LOVED it. Even Jim, who has a picky palette, said, "Put it on the list!" YAY!




So here it is... I forgot to take a picture, but here's a picture of a jalapeno spoon bread from Lisa's Kitchen that looks almost exactly like mine did before we attacked.... :)

Nifty fact: her recipe is also GF.

Nifty Fact 2: This is a really good leftover recipe because you just need chopped up chunks of chicken.




Chicken Spoon Bread (recipe from Bette Hagman's The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods)

375 degrees, 40 minutes (or until done)

Ingredients:
3/4C cornmeal
2T GF flour mix *
1t salt
4C GF chicken broth
1/4C butter or margerine
4 eggs, separated
3C chopped cooked chicken

Directions:
  1. In a large saucepan, combine cornmeal, flour mix, and salt. Stir in the broth. Cook over medium-high heat until thickened.
  2. Add butter and beaten egg yolks.
  3. Stir in the chicken.
  4. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the mixture.
  5. Spoon into a greased 2.5 quart casserole and bake.
Super yum!


*If you don't have a flour mix, you can use 4t rice flour, 1/2t tapioca flour, and 3/4t potato starch.
*Also, if gluten is not a problem for you, you can always substitute 2T wheat flour.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delish! I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks soooo good . . .
    Unfortunately, I share, with your mother, an allergy to chicken.
    Uncle Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I am going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks quick, I can handle that! Hope to see you again at What's for dinner Wednesday

    ReplyDelete

Yummy. I <3 Comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails